Sunday, February 4, 2024

A Sweet Sixteen Birthday

It’s been many years since my sixteenth birthday. I was reminded of it this week when my mom’s next door neighbors texted us to send a sweet sixteen video greeting for their twins - who happen to be turning sixteen this month. My mom passed away almost four years ago and would have been 101 years old this month. She and her neighbors became like family - and she eventually gave her house to them. She met them when the twins were just three years old when mom asked if their dad wouldn’t mind driving her places because she couldn’t drive anymore. And that was the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship. And to this day we stay in touch with the neighbors. So my husband and I found a happy birthday song and sang along with it for the girls. It also prompted me to find the photos of the sweet sixteen surprise birthday party that I had. And I was surprised! There was a large sheet cake on the dining room table and there we were - my best friend and her boyfriend, my boyfriend and me, and my brother and my classmate - his date. It feels like yesterday. I also remember sewing the outfit that I was wearing. I don’t remember all of the details of the party, but there were a few plates stacked on the table so at least that many people were there. Now the twins will be in that same dining room in that same house. They have a lifetime to look forward to. We were so happy to be asked and to share our happy birthday greetings with them!








No comments:

Post a Comment