Tuesday, March 19, 2013

March Madness Florida State Seminoles 1972

March Madness brings back a lot of memories. I knew all the players and coaches on the FSU basketball team that lost by 5 points to UCLA in the NCAA Tournament. That was the UCLA team with Bill Walton and John Wooden. In fact, in one of the four years I was at FSU, the whole team and some of the coaches came to my house for a party after a December Tournament in St. Petersburg, Florida. My parents were amazed! It all started my freshman year when I dated a guy in my biology class who was also a JV player. All my memorabilia was sent to the school after I graduated except for a couple handbooks. All the pictures, newspaper clippings, etc. are gone. I had a signed basketball and 8x10 glossies of most of the folks. I was in Nursing School at the time, and used to do some tutoring - reviewing papers, etc. I got free tickets, went to a lot of practices, and really enjoyed knowing everyone, including Reggie Royals, Ron King, Rowland Garrett... Hugh Durham, Al Lawson, and the guys who actually went on, got degrees, and were successful in other ways. I even got more free tickets and met the team at a game in Milwaukee when they played Marquette, several years after I graduated. Now I don't watch the games anymore except for the "one shining moment" montage. It makes me cry!



















No comments:

Post a Comment