Saturday, March 30, 2013

Washington Monument Earthquake Damage Repair

Every so often when we drive by the Washington Monument, the scaffolding around the structure keeps getting higher. You can also see the progress from many different angles approaching the city. The reason for all the repairs is due to the earthquake from 2011. It's supposed to take a few months to get the scaffolding in place before the real work begins. My understanding is that it should be complete by next Spring. Unfortunately for the cherry blossom revelers, the pictures won't be as scenic or pretty. But I suppose you could say that this type of thing luckily doesn't happen that often. I remember the event well - I was on the third floor of the Madison Building and it was the weirdest feeling. I couldn't wait to get home. The monument has been closed since 2011, and now all the walkways to it are blocked off too. I've never been to the top of the Washington Monument, and not sure that I want to. But for those who really do, they're going to have to wait at least another year. In the mean time there is plenty more to do and see, especially at this time of year. 











No comments:

Post a Comment