Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Library of Congress Jefferson Building Arch Repair

It's one thing to see the beautiful main reading room of the Library of Congress Jefferson Building as the tourists do, but quite another to see it from almost the dome perspective during the arch renovation. Last week when I went to see the Magna Carta Exhibit, I stopped in the main reading room. It is splendid in every regard. It reminded me of a special behind the scenes tour we took about six years ago. As an employee, sometimes we are invited to unusual and interesting side adventures. I'm not sure how this one came about, but we ended up with hard hats and climbing scaffolding that took us to the archways that are located above the statues close to the dome. I don't think I have ever seen a bigger tarp than the one that was draped on one of the sections to contain whatever was going on behind it. Up by the stained glass windows were mentions of all the states. There we stood next to the statues four stories above the main floor. Luckily, I don't have a fear of heights, but when look at the photos, it is amazing I didn't think twice about climbing that high. I have a piece of brick from the Jefferson Building that was cut away for the Capitol Visitor Center Tunnel that connects the Library to the Capitol underground. And as the Capitol Visitor Center was being made, we took two tours long before it ever opened.  I worked on a lot of renovations while in health care in Milwaukee, including designing and constructing nursing stations and ICU's. That was interesting too. But these kinds of explorations are one of a kind opportunities. 














No comments:

Post a Comment