Monday, March 9, 2015

Far From the Madding Crowd - Gabriel, Frank or William?

When I first saw the movie "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy as a teenager, Frank was the hands down winner. I was taken by the bright red jacket, dark hair and charm. It didn't matter how the story ended. I think I have watched it about five times, and read the book a few times more - all at different decades of my life. So we watched it again this past weekend, and I was as enamored by it like all the times before, except this viewing was from a very different perspective. Gabriel seemed the most handsome and even tempered. He was faced with misfortune, but persevered. He liked animals and was kind. William Boldwood's obsession with Bathsheba was almost frightening - not almost - it was. I can see that he had a lot to offer, but she just didn't care for him and he wouldn't let go. I actually preferred him to Frank a couple decades ago. I mist have missed all the odd behavior cues then. This time they stuck out like sore thumbs. Who wouldn't like having a lot of money and living the life of luxury? How many times in real life did you really like someone and they didn't care for you or they really liked you and you didn't care for them? This type of movie is my favorite, and I could watch it another five more times. Now after all these years I like the Gabriel character the most. And I also like to think I have a Gabriel husband. I can't think of a happier ending. Although Frank still looks good in a uniform - from a distance, and William Bildwood has a lovely house. Now shall we talk about Peter Finch, Terence Stamp, and Alan Bates? That's a whole different ball game.  




No comments:

Post a Comment