Wednesday, March 4, 2015

The "Snowtorm" is Coming

Maybe it's because I am a visual creature. Or maybe some people are too lazy to notice. Every morning I look at several news sources, and in the evening my husband loves hearing about stories of the day on many different channels after he has spent the day reading about events on multiple websites. Regardless of the story line, it drives me wild when the spelling is wrong. This morning in the Washington Post, there are dire forecasts of yet another winter snowstorm - except the "s" is missing and it's a "Snowtorm." This isn't the first time - and unfortunately I see this quite frequently on websites and the scrawling news bits on the bottom of the TV screen. I used to be an editor for the school newspaper and was quite good at spelling. I know we spent a lot of time checking and rechecking not only the content but definitely the spelling. Sometimes someone catches the mistake because it is corrected. As words become shortened with the new way of communicating a lot if this hardly matters. But this is not a short version of this word- just a silly mistake and very noticeable - to me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment