Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address at the Library of Congress

Looking out the third story window of the Library of Congress Jefferson Building Great Hall yesterday I was transported back in time to 150 years ago. There on the east steps of the Capitol Building Abraham Lincoln gave his second inaugural address. I am certainly no expert on this subject, but always liked history. So whenever there is an opportunity to actually see items related to this and any other time period, I walk over to the Jefferson Building to see it. Working at the Library of Congress affords some very interesting opportunities. March 4th was the actual anniversary of Lincoln's second inaugural address - "with malice towards nine...." A complete copy of it was on display, as well as one from the printing office. Someone from California was waiting in line behind me. I was thinking how lucky I was to be able to just run over on my afternoon break to see the exhibit. What makes it more interesting is that I have a friend who actually "conserved" and restored this piece of work. It had to be one of the highlights of her career, but what makes it even more interesting is that there are only three degrees of separation from Lincoln, to her, to me! Living in Washington DC can oftentimes be a challenge and a frustration. But yesterday it was not. 










No comments:

Post a Comment