Friday, March 30, 2018

Uflex Knee Sleeve, Ace Bandages, and Curbs

For no known reason, for the last six weeks or so my knee started to ache. Rather than rest it, I worked it and kept walking and exercising. After a couple of weeks with no improvement I started taking aspirin twice a day. That helped a little. It wasn’t a constant pain, and it would switch from knee to hip and back to knee. I started using a pillow between my legs at night so as not to rub kneecaps. But it just wouldn’t quit. After a month or so I finally decided to have it checked out and ended up at the prompt care clinic (it seems the regular doctors don’t want to be burdened with these types of things) where I ended up catching whatever awful bug was circulating in there. They wrapped it with an ace bandage, told me to stay off of it, use ice or warm compresses, raise the leg, wrote a prescription for an anti inflammatory, and wrote a referral to see a sports medicine GP for follow up. So I went to see him, had a few X-rays, and got a diagnosis of arthritis along with instructions for exercises. However, when I received the X-ray findings in the mail, they all said “normal.” So, I don’t believe anything I’ve heard. All I know is that when my knee was really bothering me, wearing an ace bandage around it for support just felt better. So I ordered a uflex knee sleeve to have in the event of future events because the ace stretches out and the fit doesn’t last. But one of the things I came to really appreciate were the ramps on the sidewalks. Taking stairs and curbs put extra pressure on my knee. So using the curb ramps has been on my agenda every day when we walk. I’ve stopped taking aspirin and wrapping my knee and have started slowly to resume my usual activity and exercise. My knee still doesn’t feel right but it’s much better than it was. I think I may eventually need an MRI or Cat scan to find out what’s really going on. I’ll save that for my next annual visit since that’s the only time you can get an appointment with your regular doctor. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment