Saturday, February 22, 2020

A Death in the Family

She was 97 years old. But to me she will always be young at heart, so generous and independent. That was my mom. One week ago this afternoon she passed away at home in Florida - in the same house we moved to in 1960. She was completely in charge until the end. The last year has been very difficult for her. I knew she was failing but believed she would pull out if it. But logically speaking I knew that wouldn’t be the case this time. I treasure the weekly phone calls we had since I moved out of the house in 1975 - and the almost daily emails over the last many years since she got her first iPad. I had a feeling our visit in December would be the last. It was the best birthday I can remember. Mom and Dad made funeral arrangements many years ago, and they would be buried at Florida National Cemetery. Dad was 21 years in the Coast Guard and Mom was in the Navy. So Mom joined Dad on Wednesday after the military honors. I’m sure Dad is happy now. It’s going to take a while for me to get used to all of this. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment