Saturday, December 17, 2022

Dermatologist Visit

I grew up in Florida. And I LOVED sitting in the sun. Add some baby oil to that mix and you basically broiled in the ninety plus degree heat. As a result of my love for the sun, my skin is now paying the price. On top of that I have all sorts of skin issues that so far are harmless but look awful. And when two people tell me I need to have the lesion on my cheek checked out I should do it - even when my husband keeps telling me it’s nothing. He’s a retired surgeon and did a stint in pathology and is really good at diagnosing skin things - as well as anything else that bothers me. Last year I had a new skin problem diagnosed called granuloma annulare. It starts with a red dot and becomes a circle and the lesions are primarily on my hand around the knuckles but also on the inside of my left knee. Sometimes it hurts if I hit my hand on something, but it is just ugly. So I was given a prescription for fluocinonide cream. I’m not sure if it does anything because the lesions come and go. So at the last dermatology visit I brought my husband with me to see what the doc would say about the face lesion. As he had already diagnosed, she said it was another seboreheic keratosis - one of several I have in other places. There’s not much you can do about it except zap it - but it always returns. So I didn’t bother. Of course I was also encouraged to make an appointment for a full body review for any ominous skin problems. A long time ago I had a dark flat lesion removed from the back of my leg that I had had all of my life. It left quite a scar and it was a negative result. It’s just another thing to worry about as we age. I have a lot of annoying health issues but luckily none of them are life threatening. Having been in health care makes it worse sometimes. But having a doctor as a husband sure makes it so much easier. 












No comments:

Post a Comment