Sunday, May 7, 2023

A Lovely Afternoon

I worked at the Library of Congress for ten years. I met some very interesting people there. One of them is Kim. Since I retired seven years ago I saw and chatted with Kim one time in front of the Madison Building when we went to attend a program there. She was always so full of enthusiasm and always had something going on. She can do just about anything. I have kept up with her activities on Facebook. She sews garments, made a ton of masks at the beginning of the pandemic, got a food truck and recently opened up a brick and mortar restaurant in Maryland. One of her daughters just completed her round of chemo and radiation and rang the bell. Kim was having a celebration at the restaurant yesterday. I thought it would be a great occasion to visit. So we stopped at the flower shop and got three pink flowers - tulips and a peony - and drove the hour drive to the restaurant. We took the scenic tour through DC and around the beltway. It was a beautiful day for a ride and to visit an old friend and colleague. And it was with a great deal of enthusiasm when she greeted me and my husband at the door. Luckily she had a bit of time to chat. Another old colleague joined us and it was like old times. There is some truth to the notion that it’s a good thing to stay in touch. And it’s even nicer when it’s in person. I miss my old colleagues and friends from the Midwest and the library. But this was a simply lovely afternoon. And by the way, the name of the restaurant is Soul Sistas and a Brotha on Brandywine Road in Brandywne. It is worth the ride! 

































No comments:

Post a Comment