Sunday, May 21, 2023

The Top Five Students

I went to an all girls high school. The all boys high school was just down the street. We shared a few things like cheering on the boys sports teams and maybe some language classes, but not much more than that. It was what it was at the time and we didn’t think much about it. Not long afterwards the schools combined. Our school was demolished. I’m sure there were merits to having separate schools but I really can’t think of any now. As with everything else these days just about every place and subject matter is on Facebook, instagram, LinkedIn and every other social media outlet. So I follow the old high school along on linkedin to see if anything or anyone pops up of interest. Now that it is graduation season the high ranking scholastic students are being highlighted. Obviously that includes the valedictorian and the salutatorian. But this year they also list the top five. When I saw the photo it was so obvious that things have changed over the years. I thought I was looking at my old all girls high school photos because all of the five were girls - with the top student going to MIT with a major in physics. But this was now a combined high school and there wasn’t one male student in the pack. What happened to the boys? That seems to be a question a lot of people are asking these days. 




No comments:

Post a Comment