Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Philip Guston at the National Gallery of Art

We always enjoy visiting the National Gallery of Art. When we lived on Capitol Hill we oftentimes would stop in for lunch after taking a walk on the mall. Now that we live in northern Virginia we still like to ride in to town at least once a week and take morning walks. And when it is particularly hot, cold, or rainy - it’s a great place to stop in to get out of the elements. And there is always something to see. We recently saw photographs, sketches and drawings from Britain. There is also a new exhibit featuring Philip Guston. There are two parts. One is called Poor Richard - depicting Richard Nixon and the other is Philip Guston Now. I really don’t know much about this artist but we visited anyway. I rarely spend a lot of time reading about all of the details about each art work. I primarily walk rather quickly through the exhibits and pick out the eye catching items that get my attention. I was never a student of Art but I enjoy drawing on my iPad and also taking photographs - and that’s the main reason we visit the galleries. My husband likes hanging about all of the visitors and being in the crowd. I prefer a sparse environment. I did notice an lot of orange and pink in this collection. After walking about there we meandered over to the west building where more of my favorite pieces live. It’s just nice to know that the gallery isn’t too far away and it’s always a great place to visit. 





































No comments:

Post a Comment