Tuesday, January 29, 2013

The Globes of the Library of Congress

There they are. All appear to be taller, but thankfully not thinner, than me. I pass by them every day on my afternoon walk. One of them is from the sixties, another from the nineties, and two are from the seventeenth century. One is located on the lower level near the maps section, another on the second floor overlooking the foyer, and the two of spectacular significance are on the sixth floor. Because I am not an expert on globe matters, I've added the accurate information about them that is provided by the Library of Congress. I am struck by the architecture that surrounds and enhances them. Every time I get into the car and set what used to be a Nuvi and now google maps to a destination unknown, I am amazed by the technology. I wonder what these globe makers would have thought about all that?

No comments:

Post a Comment