Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Last Nine Hour Shift - One Step Closer to Retirement

This is my last nine hour work shift. Since starting a Federal career almost eight years ago I opted to work a complex schedule. That allowed my to be off every other Friday but I had to work nine hour days. It was worth it just to have a three day weekend but the days are really long. I'm not quite eligible or ready to retire and phased in retirement is not in the cards yet at our institution. So after a 31 year career in health care, full time without a break, in Milwaukee, almost 8 additional full time years at the Library of Congress, plus five years of part time work in high school/college, my request to work a part time schedule was finally approved. I am so thrilled to be away from work more than I am working, cover health insurance expenses, and move one step closer to official retirement. My husband has been retired for the last 15 years. At least now we can hopefully do more if we want, I can spend more time doing my digital art, and still have a little bit of structure in my week. We are celebrating our son's retirement from the army after his twenty year career and three deployments this weekend. I'll be celebrating my eight hour shifts and four day weekends. 



No comments:

Post a Comment