Friday, October 8, 2021

Oticon Hearing Aids

I flunked the hearing test. I had been putting it off because I had a feeling that would happen. As a result it was recommended that I wear hearing aids. Both of my parents needed hearing aids, but I don’t think this early on. I have ringing in my ears - maybe from taking baby aspirin for over forty years - or maybe from blood pressure medication. Not knowing what to get, I relied on the audiologist recommendations. Since there is an office just across the street, we felt this would be most convenient, but probably more expensive. I didn’t want the aid to sit in my ear, and since I have moderate to severe loss the behind the ear type was recommended. So I ended up with Oticon brand. I got them almost two weeks ago and it’s been interesting to adjust. I am overly sensitive to sound - especially non spoken peripheral noise. It can drive me crazy. On Tuesday I go back for a check up. The nice thing about the hearing aids is that they are rechargeable, can be linked to my iPhone to make adjustments using the app, and they can stream to phone calls, music and other things. Since I don’t know what to expect I’m not sure if this is the best way forward. I do know the tv sound is much lower now, but I can also hear my husband chewing food. Oftentimes it sounds like static if the wind is blowing. It feels like it’s just another thing falling apart over the last year and I don’t like it. Hopefully things will begin to feel normal again soon. I suppose it’s better than asking my husband to constantly repeat himself. But since we are not living the way we used to I don’t know how well these devices will work in the real world of rooms and restaurants filled with people. Hopefully they can be adjusted to manage the changes if and when they ever materialize. 

































No comments:

Post a Comment