Thursday, June 23, 2011

Jury Duty

After having been gone for almost 2 weeks, then back to work for 2 days, today was my scheduled jury duty day. I was one of the lucky ones who had to be at the courthouse by 8 AM. Other participants could arrive at 10 AM. I served 2 years ago, my husband has served twice, and our daughter in law has also served 2-3 times. Nothing got started until 9:30. My name and number was not called the first time, or the second time, or the third time. I got to hear orientation twice. I forgot my phone and IPad charger and was starting to run low on battery life, so I stopped playing games and looked around from the third story window to the street below. Several fire trucks passed`through in the morning hours, and there were plenty of jay walkers. Then the lunch bell sounded, and I went to the basement for a salad. The server/cashier was delighted to see me, and she grunted at me when I made my request and paid. I meandered over to the chair to sit and could not wait to leave and get back to the waiting area by 2 PM. A fourth call for jurors was sounded, and I was left out again! (That's why I never play the lottery). Having had enough folks for the panels, the announcement was made that all those left sitting could leave. I've always kinda wanted to serve on a jury- and was called one time to serve in the 30 years we lived in Milwaukee. I got as far as the selection process, but was booted out. Based on what's happening in your life at the time, I guess you could call that lucky?
I could have walked, but my husband gave me a ride

The Washington Monument in the distance

Another sort of work day-
glad I don't have to come back tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment