Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Deserted Town

You would never know this the the capitol city at noon on Wednesday, January 4. I left the office to walk home as usual for lunch. But there was something very stark about the place. It almost felt like I was on a movie set and some aliens had zapped the life out of every living creature. Usually at this time of the day the sidewalks are bustling with foot traffic, the metro is jammed to the gills, the food trucks are all doing a brisk business, and the valet parking in front of the Capitol Hill Club is very busy. It almost feels like I am the only one working. But even when it is very busy with a lot of traffic, I still feel like I am the only one working. Things are sure different here than the private sector- particularly in health care where 24 hour/7 days a week coverage is essential. I can't say I don't like it- I'm just not used to it.

Empty sidewalks by the House Office Buildings

Not a soul in sight except for a few vehicles

One of the main Library entrances across from the metro

The shadow of the tree on the sidewalk tells the story

No comments:

Post a Comment