Sunday, January 15, 2012

License Renewal

Every two years, a postcard comes in the mail along with an email to remind me that my RN license is due for renewal. Even though I am no longer practicing as a professional RN, I can't seem to let go of it because it was such a remarkable experience to get it. I would not want to go through that again. And with the unemployment situation as it is, and with all the uncertainty, it's just a good idea to have it on hand. I got the first license in Florida, then the second when I moved to Wisconsin. When we moved here, I decided just to keep the Wisconsin license current as it has reciprocity in 23 states, including Virginia and Maryland, but DC is not mentioned. I doubt if I will ever really need it, but I want to be covered all the same. I only practiced clinical nursing for about 5 years.. and moved right in to management and administration with a variety of positions. It was in the 70's, when the unemployment situation was dreadful, when I decided nursing was for me- and a surprise to everyone who knew me. So my career path took a strange turn in college. Being the practical person that I am, I knew I would get a job when I graduated. In the end it was a great decision- I did meet my husband at work and I can't complain about all the job opportunities I experienced. But here I am working in a place that uses non- nursing skills, but the same ones I tried to master in health care. And as a hobby, I write, draw and take photographs.
Just not ready to let the license lapse

No comments:

Post a Comment