Thursday, November 1, 2018

Real ID and Driver License Renewal at the DMV

When we lived in the Midwest it was easy to get to the DMV station to renew your driver’s license. There was always ample parking and a short drive. I don’t remember having to provide so much documentation! My license was up for renewal and I couldn’t update it on line as I did the last time because I had to get a REAL ID. That would require physically going to the DMV station and providing all the required documentation - a passport, social security card, and two items that showed place of residence like a property tax receipt and bank statement. So we decided to kill two birds with one stone by getting our morning walk in and getting the driver’s license renewed in SW - a fifteen minute walk from our house. Of course when we arrived the long line was wrapping around three times over, but for whatever reason it seemed to move. I noticed the cars constantly driving around the tiny parking lot trying to find a space to park. Once we got to the first desk, we needed to state the reason for the visit, show our documents, get a form to fill in, and get a number. The large sitting area was not quite full, and the numbers were consistently being called. Everything kept moving and it was actually quite efficient! When my number was called, I went to the assigned desk (there were at least 20) and everything was completed in one place - documents scanned, eye test, photo, temporary license. I got my old license back after it was punched as invalid. The new license is supposed to arrive in the mail within 15 days. All in all it wasn’t very painful. We get to do it all over again in a month or two because my husband’s license expires. His will require medical authorization because of his age. But we still have to make a visit to the DMV for his REAL ID. It’s going to be a lot colder outside! 
















No comments:

Post a Comment