Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Bromeliad Haircut

Houseplants are nice to have around. They require a bit of attention and bring any space to life. Since we no longer have our tiny Capitol Hill patio garden, we have a console table in the dining room filled with several plants. One of the plants - a bromeliad - was given to us by our dear friends when my mom passed away in February. It’s quite large and has done well. The main stalk, however, started to turn brown. That was expected. What was nice to see were two little sprouts growing from the base of the plant. When they reached a few inches I decided it was time for a haircut. So I read about the do’s and dont’s and got out my scissors. The plant was cut as far down as was possible. Then I trimmed off all the remaining leaves. It was quite the pruning session. I generally don’t have a problem trimming back garden plants and this was no exception. I am disappointed in the money tree that isn’t cooperating. The bromeliad was placed on the lower shelf of the console table where it gets the afternoon light and warmth of the returning western sun. I hope it does well for many reasons. Every time I look at it I think about our friends who thought about my mom. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment