Thursday, August 13, 2020

ProBreeze Dehumidifier

The hygrometer says it all. Our house is humid. Over a twenty four hour period it ranges from 50-69%. The ideal is supposed to be 45-55% for a whole host of reasons, and comfortable is 30-60%.  I can tell when the temperature in the room is lower, so is the humidity. To help manage the moisture, I got two small Eva Dry silica units that turn from yellow to green when the dampness is absorbed. They are intended for very small places so they didn’t do much for the bathroom. So I stuck them in closets to see if it makes a difference there. You then plug them in to remove the moisture, then start all over. Because the bathroom is probably the biggest source of the problem, the foggy mirror and damp grout needed to be addressed. This, in spite of an exhaust fan. So I got a small dehumidifier that plugs in. It can hold up to 500 ml of water. After one day it was about a quarter full; after two days it is about half full. I suppose every bit helps, but I don’t see a change in the hygrometer readings - yet. Since it is raining cats and dogs all day the moisture level is high outside and seeps in somehow. You wouldn’t think it would matter in a new condo with a modern unit specific HVAC system. It is a bit disappointing.  But at least the air circulating in the house is our own compared to our old 1890’s condo on Capitol Hill. That was one system for the whole building. So I’ll keep watching the hygrometer and keep the mini dehumidifier plugged in. I don’t want any warped floor boards and such. My husband doesn’t have a lot of faith in this set up, but a small improvement is better than none. At least I think so. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment