Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Copland, Klemperer, Webern, and Korngold in the Whittal Pavilion at the Library of Congress

I think I saw this room one time about eight years ago when I first stated working at the Library of Congress. The Whittal Pavilion is on the same floor as the Coolidge Auditorium where we have often visited for a variety of presentations. It is in the beautiful Jefferson Building and attracts many visitors through the tunnel connected to the Capitol Building. Yesterday I had another opportunity to visit this space in preparation for a meeting that was to take place over a two day period. It was set up with four round tables, and around the perimeter were four busts of music related known entities - although I had not heard of two of them. Aside from these sculptures were housed in several cases what were obviously priceless stringed and wind instruments. Looking outside on to the courtyard that sits directly under this room was a lovely fountain and garden. I know a lot of meetings and gatherings occur here. Many of the special guests that are a part of the programs as well as government officials use it to host their constituents and otherwise. I also know about the Whittal Pavilion because I track the utilization of all the rooms in the library. Our public programs department needs to schedule, set up and and provide catering services for special events. It's nice to know year after year what is used, when, and how often. This one seems to have a lot of use - and I can see why. It's quite lovely, and nothing like any other meeting room place I've been in. 








No comments:

Post a Comment