Monday, October 23, 2017

Monarch Butterfly Loves the Patio Garden

Over the last few weeks there have been more butterfly sightings than during the entire summer. One particular monarch butterfly seemed to be enjoying our garden patio more than usual. His wings were not as big nor brilliant as is typical, and a little torn up! He looked like he had been through some tough times. After watching him for awhile, I tried to coax him on to my finger but he wouldn't have any of that. I have actually been successful getting butterflies on my finger at both Monticello and Roosevelt Island! I've even gotten fireflies to rest on my arm. I could sit for hours watching these tiny creatures flying about, and I think they know I really like them. So this guy flew from one flower to another and even ended up on the wall of the building for a respite. One always wonders whenever there is a paucity of something if a species is on the decline. So it was heartening to see the critters and be able to offer them some food and relaxation. That's one of the reasons we really like our tiny patio garden. 













No comments:

Post a Comment