Sunday, September 10, 2017

Hurricane Irma is Going to Hit My Home Town

I cannot get my mind off this horrible hurricane Irma for a lot of reasons. My 94 year old mom fell and broke her hip about three weeks ago and we made an emergency run to St Petersburg Florida - the city where I grew up. She transferred to a rehab facility near the water and had to be evacuated to Lutz, north of Tampa, on Friday morning. We left Florida two weeks ago and I never thought it might be the last time we would see the city in one piece. We are hoping where she is is a safe place, and are now concerned about her house. It is on higher ground, but nothing like this has ever happened in the sixty years she has lived there. Luckily her next door neighbors are like our next of kin and will be looking out for her and her house. We know more people in Florida than any other state and it is so difficult to hear and see what is about to happen over the next 24 hours. We have been on overdrive since we heard about her fall, the surgery, the rehab, and now the hurricane. We have been staying in contact as the days pass. I just hope it will all be over soon. The unknowns are the worst. This is the place I grew up and I, and a lot of other people, are feeling very sad and helpless.


No comments:

Post a Comment