Thursday, September 7, 2017

I Hate Irma and all Hurricanes

I always knew I would never live any where near water. Growing up in Florida taught me that lesson. Our family home is located on higher ground away from the tide, but during hurricanes things can get dicey. But it even gets worse when you have a 94 year old mother who just broke a hip and is currently in a rehab unit right next to the water. And so the day has been hair raising and worrisome when I got a call that they have to evacuate the residents to another facility in Lutz, a city on higher ground past Tampa. It's hard to allay anyone's fears from a distance. My mother was supposed to go home today, but it would be the worst idea at this time. And even if she depends on the neighbors in good times, this is just not the right time to expect they manage her care now. So a decision was made for her to go with the group tomorrow morning for another adventure she wasn't counting on. She has lived in Florida for almost sixty years and this situation never reared its ugly head like this. But she didn't just break a hip and wasn't in a rehab center either. We were just in Florida a couple of weeks ago and feel quite helpless now. I suppose things could be much worse. We will keep our fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment