Thursday, July 18, 2019

Apollo on the Washington Monument

It was time to take a trip down to the Mall last evening. We rarely venture out after dark but felt somewhat compelled since we wouldn’t have a lot of opportunity. The Apollo spacecraft image was illuminating the east side of the Washington Monument from 9:30-11:30 PM for just a couple of nights. I didn’t want to miss it, but my husband has never been enamored by space stuff. That includes Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. Our friends in France were astonished that he had no interest in seeing the Milky Way. My brother had a telescope and we spent some time learning about space. One of my science projects was about Venus. Fifty years ago I remember sitting in front of the tv, later in the evening, and watching the event of the first step on the moon with my family. My dad took slide photos of the tv images and I just dug them up. The images are rather poor, but on one of the slides it clearly has written “first step on the moon.” So, it was worth the parking lot drive near the Washington monument to once again witness the event in a very different way. Things like this always bring the crowds to the Capitol city. I’m glad we are still close enough to see them. 

Apollo illuminating the Washington Monument:

No comments:

Post a Comment