Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Imperial Moth?

I didn’t notice it. My husband did. We were crossing the street to go on our usual morning walk. We stumbled across what looked like a fall leaf dull colored “butterfly” - but it was quite large and looked more like a rubber toy. We weren’t in the park so we weren’t expecting to see something you might typically come across in the park. It didn’t move - what ever it was. And it looked like it didn’t belong next to the begonia flowers in the garden by a parking garage. So rather than scoop it up in my hands, my husband brushed it with the small water bottle he was carrying. It didn’t move then either - which made me think it was a toy. But then it startled us both when it started to flap its wings. It quickly got off the ground and flew to the other side of the street. Neither one of us had ever seen anything like that before. When we got home we looked it up and think it was an imperial moth. It was fascinating to see but weird at the same time. I rather like observing animals and insects and birds - but usually from a distance and if I know what it is. What do you think? 

Imperial moth?
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzvlt1gBaVB/









No comments:

Post a Comment