Thursday, August 29, 2019

From the Back Roads to the City

When I retired three years ago we took a cross country road trip from DC to California along a southern route. The next year we took another cross country trip from DC to Washington state on a northern route. Now we can say we have been in all of the 48 states and really don’t have any desire to see Hawaii or Alaska. Depending on who is driving, I sometimes miss interesting photo ops. More often than not it seems that  the best scenes I see are when I’m driving so I can’t take the pictures. It’s a wonderful time driving from point A to point B - both my husband and I love driving around. So when we went to visit our family in mid Virginia last weekend, we stopped at Walton’s Mountain in Schuyler and have since watched the first episode of the series to refresh my memory of it. We were on the back roads getting there, but I was driving and missed several great shots. Driving back home we took in the sights of the road primarily on US 29. We didn’t have a chance to go the back way this time. But there are always scenes of interest - farms, cows, corn, shops, homes - a very different vibe from what either of us are used to. My husband always says he would go crazy in a small or rural place. I’m not so sure. I suppose it all looks “nostalgic.” I wonder how the folks who live there really feel about it. 

































No comments:

Post a Comment