Sunday, August 18, 2019

Apple IPad Pro with Pencil

I’m not sure how old my iPad is, but I’ve been using it primarily to paint custom pet portraits using the sketchbook pro app. The sad thing is is that the sketchbook pro app is no longer supported on the updated operating systems, so I’m forced to keep it on a lower level system to preserve the app so I can use it. I was self taught on the sketch book pro app and it took a couple of years to perfect it. But my iPad became useless for other things that required updates to function. So I started thinking about a workaround. It’s been a while since I researched iPads and I was intrigued with the new iPad Pro that works with the Apple Pencil. I tried to learn the new sketch book pro app but found it quite difficult. I stumbled upon the Procreate app and read more about it. Since it was designed primarily for iPad use, maybe I could learn how to use it. So I ordered the latest iPad Pro and pencil and we went to the Apple store to pick it up. The Apple store is magical to me - kind of like art stores or container stores. I’ve always loved gadgets and was the first in line to get the first generation iPad. That’s when I started to paint again. Well, I’ve spent the last few weeks trying to learn about not only the new iPad and Pencil, but also Procreate. I downloaded the manuals for each and tried to learn a little bit every day. I like the larger iPad and use it for everything. My overall art style is changing from more precise to “impressionistic” watercolors - which is what I always preferred. The brushes and styles are very different - to me - from Sketchbook pro. Since I’m not a professional artist, I don’t know or need the functions that are available on the app. I probably use 10% of what’s out there. I’m not quite satisfied with my progress, but I tried doing our grandson’s Vizsla and even figured out the transparent background. I posted the image on Redbubble and Amazon Merch and ordered him a T-shirt with her painting on it. I’m practicing on a bunch of Persian art type things too - it’s one of the most frequently searched key words in my Etsy shop. At least I now have two options - I’ll use the old iPad for custom pet orders until I feel confident enough about my Procreate skills. Otherwise I’m having fun painting things I think look good. Thank goodness it’s a hobby! 























No comments:

Post a Comment