Friday, April 9, 2021

Hekyll and Jekyll

I can’t swear to it, but the same visitors from last year have returned to our balcony. Last year we thought it was cute that the crows, who we named Hekyll and Jekyll, visited us at the beginning of the pandemic. It was nice to see something alive while we were cooped up inside. This year we find them a bit annoying since we have coco lined planters hanging from the backs of the seats. The crows are stealing bits and pieces from the liners, and are also hiding things in the baskets. They seem to show up in the late morning and then again around supper time. But I have a feeling they are hanging around in between. And they have no shame. I can’t tell you how many stare downs I have had with them. It’s almost scary how they look you right in the eye and don’t even move. My husband prefers to leave them alone, but every time they show up and I see them there I open the balcony door and ask them politely to leave. They usually do after I stop asking politely. Then, he flies to the next balcony and keeps watch from there or from the building across from ours - waiting for me to go inside and cawing so that I can hear his displeasure. We are used to seeing crows flying about and hanging in the upper branches of the trees, but seeing them face to face is a bit unnerving. Hopefully they will find other places to bother. In a way it’s nice to have the company - but there is something about crows. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment