Sunday, July 19, 2020

Toms Slides House Shoes

Yes, I have big feet. I wear a size eleven. Growing up back in the day was torture trying to find shoes to fit. It wasn’t a matter of going to a shoe store and asking for a pair I liked; rather, it was “what do you have in my size?” I oftentimes had to squeeze in to a size ten which wasn’t a great idea except if it was a sandal.  Since I have a tendency to bang my toes on things around the house - especially when we lived in a very small space on Capitol Hill - I always wear an enclosed shoe. A slipper doesn’t work because they are too soft and the soles are flimsy. But trying to find a “house” slide is near to impossible. The shoes I have been wearing have seen much better times. The seams are falling apart but they fit so nice. I actually wore them when we traveled to Iran in 1996! I didn’t wear them much after that and then found them again for house shoes. Now finding foot wear in my size is less difficult, but it took forever to come across something that fit the bill - covered ties, no plastic material, not Birkenstock or Crocs, flat, no back, no “lip” on the heel. I came across a pair of Toms that looked promising. They arrived this week. After wearing them for three days they just aren’t comfortable and they make my feet look even longer. I’ll give them another week or so. They just don’t bend and the inside isn’t soft. There is a story behind Toms that I am not familiar with. Since I got these shoes on sale I’m not heartbroken. Just looking for shoes is - and always was - a real pain. I have even less interest in it now. I saved my old shoes just in case. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment