Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Calligaris or Crate and Barrel? Neither

It’s probably the worst time to buy anything - especially furniture. When we moved from Capitol Hill to northern Virginia three years ago it was the first time we had a dining room in thirteen years. We had a calligaris table that extended to seat many people, but it didn’t work quite as well in the new space. But we kept it anyway. Under the huge mirror in the dining room we added a distressed white console table to put a bunch of plants on and fill in the space. Lately we have been thinking about getting a sideboard. I really didn’t know what would look good there, but we decided something of a similar color would be best. I’ve been researching options for the last several weeks. So we visited crate and barrel to see what we thought might work. But it ended up looking much too large for the space. So we went back to calligaris for a match. The sideboard was still a bit too wide and long and I didn’t care for the top insert. And the price tag was ridiculous! We didn’t need it that bad. So this week we may check out Room and Board as there is something there that might work and won’t break the bank. I don’t have a lot of hope, and I’m not that interested either. I never thought we would be back in the 80’s with high inflation. My mortgage rate was 13-16% back then! Being on a fixed income doesn’t help either. So the furniture is a nice to have and certainly not an essential. I don’t like this feeling. 










No comments:

Post a Comment