Saturday, March 19, 2022

Who Irons Anymore?

When we walked in the mall on rainy or icy days, I noticed a green striped shirt that looked nice to wear for everyday types of errands. I haven’t bought any clothing for over two years. My wardrobe has been shorts and a t shirt at home and LLBean wear for morning walks. So I ordered the JCrew shirt and it arrived folded in a plastic bag - like men’s shirts. It’s probably a size too large. But it is meant to be an oversized shirt with dropped shoulders. But I thought it needed to be washed to soften it a bit - but that would mean I would have to iron it because it was cotton. I haven’t ironed in centuries! So after washing and drying the shirt it was wrinkled. We have a very small ironing board that needs to be placed on a table. The iron is pretty standard. I just knew I needed to add water so it could be steamed. Doing this exercise reminded me of the days when everything had to be ironed - especially the white uniform shirts for school. I remember my mom rolling things up and putting them in the refrigerator. It’s a pain to iron but more of a pain when you don’t really have the right set up. The shirt did look better after the wash. But I’m not sure I like the idea of the upkeep. So much for wanting a cotton button down shirt. Maybe cotton and polyester blend is a better idea. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment