Sunday, March 6, 2022

Houseplants Taking Over

When we moved to northern Virginia almost three years ago the dining room looked a little bare. So we got a console table to place below the mirror and loaded it with houseplants. They looked good, but lately they have been a bit overgrown and unsightly. So I took a scissors to them and cleared it up a bit. It’s always sad to cut plants back but after it was done it did look a bit neater. I moved one out of place overgrown plant over to the wine cabinet. Since the lamp broke there was a space for it. When the lamp gets repaired I’m not sure what I’ll do with it. My husband has been babying a miniature rose plant that came back once. Now he is hoping that it comes back a second time. That would be unusual but interesting if it does. Part of a plant that I cut off was placed in the little vase on the dining room table. It’s not the kind of plant that roots, so we will see how long it lasts. I have already placed cuttings in the wall vase so there was no room for the latest bunch. So they ended up in the garbage. Many of the plants look a bit tired with yellowed leaves and withered stems. The orchid we got from my brother and sister in law as a house warming gift has leaves but has not bloomed since. It all makes us wonder if we need to do something different in the dining room. Who needs a dining room anyway? My husband thinks maybe a sideboard with storage may be a better idea. I’m not convinced - yet. I’d rather do something with the den. This house just doesn’t feel homey yet. It’s got stuff from the old house with some new pieces, but the color scheme varies from one room to the next. It’s just not what I’d like it to be but my interest in making changes isn’t like it used to be either. So cutting back the plants was a good first step. Who knows what will be next? 












No comments:

Post a Comment