Thursday, May 9, 2013

Library of Congress Braille Map of the Mall

While passing by the Geography and Maps Division at the Library of Congress on my afternoon walk I decided it was about time to check out the large structure in the hall. Next to the globe is a long table. On it is a Braille map that was created in 1988. The purpose was to provide better access to the Capitol for the visually impaired. Whenever I see these types of maps I look for our house. Unfortunately, it stops one block short of where we live, right by the Capitol. But it still gives me a lot of satisfaction to be able to show and tell folks where it would be if the map was just a little bigger. Our house was on a PBS story during a flyover scene, and obviously is on Google too. But not everyone can benefit from visual cues. That's what makes this map so special.

No comments:

Post a Comment