Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Retired Six Years

It’s called one - if not the most - beautiful buildings in Washington DC. The Library of Congress Jefferson Building is magnificent with the Neptune fountain in front and the US Capitol across the street. If you asked me if I thought I would ever work there I would have said you were crazy. But that’s what happened after working in healthcare for thirty years in the Midwest. This month is my sixth year retirement anniversary from the Library of Congress. I can’t believe I worked there for ten years before that. I actually worked in the Madison Building which is one of the largest federal buildings in the US. I used to walk the halls on afternoon breaks and the tunnels underground to the Capitol visitor center. I had an interesting job in the infrastructure support services. It’s a long story how I got from health care to the library, and it took a lot of persistence and confidence to finally land the job on Capitol Hill where I could actually walk to work and come home for lunch every day. We still visit the neighborhood almost every week because we still love the location but not the hassle. I can say I do not miss work at all, but didn’t plan on living in a pandemic during my “golden years.” I am thankful for the experience and look forward to the day when programming begins so we can actually visit the Jefferson Building again - like we used to. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment