Tuesday, November 15, 2022

A Very Sad Day at UVA

It’s not the kind of news you want to hear. Early yesterday morning my husband read that there was a mass shooting at UVA. It wasn’t exactly a surprise since these sorts of things have become much too common. But this time it was more personal. My husband immediately texted our daughter in law to see if she could tell us if our grandson was affected in any way. Our grandson is currently a sophomore at UVA. She answered back that he was not near where the incident occurred but that they were all sheltering in place. When I woke up I immediately sent a text to Will telling him that grandma and grandpa hope he is careful and to stay safe. He answered immediately hoping that things would simmer down soon. During the day we heard the details about the incident and were sickened by it all - especially the horrible impact psychologically it has on everyone. Later in the day we texted Will again to let him know we were thinking about him and his friends. I remember on 9/11 I was at work and felt the need to drive back home to be with my husband. Luckily Will had the same opportunity to drive back home to be with his parents. I’m not sure who was happier to be with each other. We were just glad that they could share the distress together. This is one time - among others - that living an hour away from college is a good thing. I just know that this day will have a impression on everyone for the rest of their lives. We share our sincerely condolences with the families of the lost students. 




No comments:

Post a Comment