Monday, July 5, 2021

A Toast to My Parent’s Anniversary

It was a very hot July day in Massachusetts when my parents got married over seventy years ago. Since my mom’s family ran a grocery store the only day to have a wedding was on a holiday. So the Fourth of July was not only a national holiday, but a wedding anniversary as well. My parents never did anything special on their anniversary, but it’s was never hard to remember it. We did have a surprise fiftieth anniversary party for them back in New England and it was good to see everyone again. Coincidentally my dad died on Father’s Day - not easy to forget that either. When my mom passed away right before the pandemic in 2020, we didn’t keep much of their belongings. In fact, my mom gave our house to the neighbors who cared for both of my parents over the last ten years. But I did take two of her crystal wine glasses as a keepsake. So yesterday we took out those glasses, poured in our daily Malbec dose, and toasted to my parent’s special day. We are sure there was a great party with all the family and friends who left before us. It’s good to remember occasions like that this and everyone was celebrating with us. Didn’t you hear the fireworks? 












No comments:

Post a Comment