Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Fifteen Years Ago

Fifteen years ago we moved to DC. We lived in the Midwest for thirty years. The difference between living in the Midwest and DC is quite the contrast - and the reason I started this blog in the first place. A lot has happened in these fifteen years. Right now I miss our Midwest home because of the friends and colleagues we don’t get to see as much as we did before the pandemic. Our home was entirely reconstructed and made the way we wanted, and it included a beautiful Borzoi. I would prefer to be there now over our 1000 square foot condo in northern Virginia with no dog and living on the fourth floor. At least we have secure parking and it’s in a lovely neighborhood with all the things we need and want very close at hand. My mom passed away last year so our routine trips to Florida ended after forty five years. My mom gave our house to the neighbors who cared for her the last few years. It was well worth it, but I felt the void once the paperwork was completed. On Monday we drove in to DC to get some photos for my 52frames photo challenge. We parked on the mall and visited the National Gallery of Art. We haven’t been to the gallery since before we moved to Virginia. Living on Capitol Hill was both interesting and irritating. We loved and still love the overall vibe, I worked at the library of congress for ten years, and our family lived five townhouses away from us until they moved to central Virginia. If the 1890’s building we lived in wasn’t so dreadful we probably would still be there. It’s not an easy city to live in - especially since we are getting older and we had street parking. We certainly are glad we aren’t living there during the pandemic and the unsettled environment. Every time we drive in, we are sorry we moved, but when we get back home we are glad we can still enjoy the parts we liked. Last year I painted a portrait of all the houses we have lived in and the picture is on the wall in the den. I often wonder if there will be the need to add another one. In some ways I’d like to move somewhere else, but I don’t know where that would be. The Midwest? Too cold. A house or a condo? I don’t know. Closer to family or friends? It’s anyone’s guess. 






No comments:

Post a Comment