Saturday, December 11, 2021

Betty Crocker Foil Wrapped Dinner

For whatever reason I decided to rediscover some Betty Crocker dinner recipes that we used to make before we moved to the DC area fifteen years ago. We aren’t really that in to meat, but there is a round steak recipe that we used to like. So when we went to the grocery store we picked up the necessary ingredients that included not only the round steak, but also potatoes, French onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup, frozen peas and carrots. My husband usually does all of the cooking, but I wanted to give this a go and was actually excited to make something. I was thinking that we must have liked it back then and should still like it now. So I cut up the round steak in exact 1 inch squares, peeled and quartered the potatoes, drained the peas and carrots and started building the four evenly divided stacks of ingredients on to heavy duty aluminum foil. The tightly closed packages were placed in the oven for an hour. It smelled really good! When we removed the ready made meals from the oven it looked really good, but the meat wasn’t tender. I think there was too much meat and it cold have stayed in the oven longer. After we picked at the rest of the food for dinner, my husband took the remaining meat from the other two packages, put it in tomato sauce and simmered it on the burner for another 45 minutes. The meat was then tender. So in the end it did taste like we remembered it, but the meat wasn’t cooked long enough. We’ll see how the leftovers taste. My husband likes to add a lot of additional flavors to any meal without using recipes - which is why he does all of the cooking. I need to follow the recipe verbatim. I was disappointed it didn’t turn out like it was supposed to. My motivation to cook was crushed. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment