Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Old Fashioned Christmas Cards

I have to admit that I stopped sending out hard copy Christmas cards a long time ago. I transitioned to email Christmas cards several years back, then stopped doing that unless someone sent a card or greeting to us. I used to love helping my mother send her cards out. I would sit with her at the dining room table as she wrote the notes and then I was responsible for sealing the envelopes and putting on the stamps. When we moved to the DC area fifteen years ago I sent my college friend all the cards she had sent me over the years when we cleared out the house. It was like a time capsule for her. I don’t send cards any more because we tend to stay in touch so much more regularly on social media. There are those that do still adhere to the Christmas tradition. Today we received three hard copy Christmas cards from friends in Hawaii and Wisconsin. It was pleasant enough to receive them and now I will reply via email and text. That sounds almost impersonal, but worth the reply. Since we have forever stamps that are rarely used these days I’m not even sure what the postage is now. I have to give credit to the traditionalists and really appreciate the nostalgia. I wonder when it will end completely? 




No comments:

Post a Comment