Observations, pictures, and sketches highlight the transition of moving to the nations's Capitol after 30 years of living in the Midwest. A clash in cultures? Maybe not!
Friday, August 23, 2024
I Tested the Apple Watch Fall Detection Feature
We thought a drive in to town was in order. We hadn’t parked at the Tidal Basin for a while and the plan was to walk to the White House. I’ve been suffering from plantar fasciitis for about three months so our usual morning walks have changed. I’m trying to build up a tolerable walking distance little by little while doing all of the exercises, icings, and splint wearing during the day and night. So we made our way towards the WWII Memorial. I’m always telling my husband to look down because the sidewalks are a mess. Well, I didn’t this time. My foot hit an unexpected raised portion of the sidewalk and I couldn’t catch my balance while my hat flew off. Thank goodness I was holding my husband’s hand as it most likely softened the fall. I’m just glad I didn’t take him down with me. Right after I fell my Apple Watch sent a message - “it looks like you’ve taken a hard fall.” Since I was “ok” I closed out the message. But if I hadn’t done that, an SOS would have been sent. This was a nice reminder that gadgets can save lives. Not one person stopped to help us - which I guess I’m not surprised since I got up right away. We started the walk again and then the discomfort set in … my left hand was badly scraped, my elbow was too. My left knee was also scraped and started to hurt, along with my left hip. So I fell on four points rather than one. We decided to turn back to the car and go home since I wanted to put ice on my hand and knee. So I’m sitting here with ice everywhere - including my foot, took and advil and am hoping that none of this is serious that it would require any sort of medical intervention. It has not been a good year for us. It could have been a lot worse and I am thankful for that. But for someone who tries to be so careful it didn’t make any difference today. I guess that’s why it’s called an accident.



Labels:
Apple Watch,
fall detection,
morning walk
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment