Observations, pictures, and sketches highlight the transition of moving to the nations's Capitol after 30 years of living in the Midwest. A clash in cultures? Maybe not!
Friday, August 9, 2024
Library of Congress Work Anniversary
Around this time in August eighteen years ago I started my second career as a program analyst at the Library of Congress in the infrastructure support services. If you had asked me if I would ever work at the Library or live in Washington DC I would have thought you were nuts. After thirty years in health care in the Midwest, we decided to move to DC if I could find a job. We bought a tiny condo near our family on Capitol Hill that would be used for visits but we never thought we would ever LIVE in 500 square feet. So I started looking for employment that was within walking distance and submitted resumes to the Architect of the Capitol and the Library. It was a very tedious process but eventually paid off with a phone interview, and then an in person interview. I worked at the Library for ten years! I still don’t believe it. We still drive in to town to attend programs. It gives us an excuse to see the beautiful Jefferson Building where I walked on every afternoon break on my way to the Capitol visitor center through the underground tunnels. Looking back it was a great experience - but while I was working there I didn’t always feel that way. So every August I remember that first day of work. It’s strange how things turn out.






Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment