Sunday, August 25, 2024

Reporting an Uneven Sidewalk to DC DOT

I am still feeling a bit of a wreck after taking a very hard fall on Friday. We were taking a morning walk and heading towards the WWII Memorial on a sidewalk parallel to 17th street SW. There is a very uneven sidewalk that we have always noticed and avoided - except for this time. I fell on my hand, elbow, hip and knee and have scraped and sore spots to prove it. My Apple Watch fall detection went off asking if I needed an SOS sent. Luckily I was holding my husband’s hand and he tried to keep it from getting worse. I used to report lights that were out and other such things to the DC DOT when we lived on Capitol Hill. So I tried to report this terrible sidewalk using the same website. I got as far as entering in the nearest address and it wouldn’t let me go any further after attempting several times. So I sent an email instead - including a description, a map from my iPhone showing where the incident occurred, and photos of the sidewalk. I also kept the phone number in case I don’t get a response. It’s quite a dangerous problem and the city gets sued all of the time because of this. I am fortunate that things are not worse. But it’s just another reminder about getting old. And every time I move I am reminded of it. 














No comments:

Post a Comment