Monday, May 9, 2016

Newseum

The Newseum has been around I think as long as we have lived here - about ten years. We have walked by it many times along Pennsylvania Avenue and checked out the newspapers of the day on display from all over the country and the world. So when our guests from Milwaukee were visiting, one of the places they were interested in seeing was the Newseum. I got the $15 tickets on line before they arrived. They can be used at any time prior to the end of the year, and for over a two days period. Because the weather was so bad, we drove over and parked in the garage for a weekend rate of $15. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but was impressed with the artifacts, layout, and general building structure. The views from the balcony were impressive. So much has happened along the Avenue since it existed, and this spot is a great vantage point for the inaugural parade. There was so much to see within the walls that it was overwhelming.  One could easily spend a lot more time looking at all the news since I'm not sure when. From the sixties forward, things looked so familiar. Prior to that time, it was something I had only read about or learned in history or social studies. The twin tower radio steeple that once stood upon the top of the building was a poignant display. It made me feel quite uneasy and sad looking at it surrounded by the newspapers proclaiming the outrage from all over the world. I was the editor of my high school newspaper and had once considered a career in journalism. I'm not sure why I never pursued it, having written the who, what, when, where, and how stories many times over. Things have changed so dramatically since then. Now everyone is a reporter, and nothing is a secret - and the truth lies somewhere in between. 














No comments:

Post a Comment