Saturday, May 11, 2019

Recreating the Monks Room With IKEA Lots Mirror Tiles

In our old Capitol Hill condo we turned a good sized closet in to a monks room. There was just enough space for a twin sized bed, and a small chest. Since there was a huge window, shelving, and high ceilings it worked out nicely. To make it appear larger I added twelve Ikea mirror tiles to the wall. When we moved to Virginia a few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea to recreate the monks room in the den. Because we left the mirror tiles on the wall, as well as the padded headboard, I needed to order the same LOT mirror tiles from Ikea for this room. They arrived several days ago and I scoped out the best option. Because the room is twice the size as the original monks room, the tiles needed to be set more horizontal than square. You simply use two sticky pads on each side and press to the flat surface. So I ended up with five tiles across and three down and wasn’t happy with the result. So I ordered another four tiles in one package and added an additional line along the bottom, ultimately using twenty tiles in all. It looks so much better and makes the room look twice as large. It’s taken a few tries to get it right - the huge metal framed mirror was moved to the dining room where it belongs. The three tiny monks are now above the door frame, and a chair and a coat rack complete the space along with a computer stand/bedside table, small storage table with a lamp, and one of our favorite paintings. I was hoping to put my printer in our huge closet but there wasn’t a plug, so it’s got a place there too. The monks room isn’t used that often but it’s a nice added area just in case someone needs an overnight place to stay. I don’t think I’ll be getting another headboard for the rollaway bed. Hopefully it will work out well. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment