Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Searching for a Dining Room Carpet

The question is do you have or do you not have a carpet in the dining room? We did when we lived in the Midwest. It was a silk beautiful Persian carpet that was paired with the one in the living room. We left them, and others, behind when we moved to DC almost fourteen years ago. We didn’t even have a dining room in the tiny 500 square foot unit. Our new condo in Virginia has a dining room. It is composed of a small expandable glass table with a glass chandelier above it. We didn’t need a sideboard because of the huge kitchen peninsula so we got a distressed console table and brought our outdoor garden inside. It all looked good, but something was missing. I wasn’t sure what design of a rug would look good there, but it needed to blend in with the tribal Persian carpets we already have. I tried a few things from Crate and Barrel. I searched on line at rugman, tried to find something similar, but didn’t think the red tones would be right.  But I knew I would know it when I saw it. So we drove around town to a couple of places - Bakersfield Rugs, Persepolis, etc. We got really bored with all the driving, the traffic, the really cheap and ridiculously expensive items, and the indecision. So when we got home I had an idea and searched on Esalerugs. The site just popped up and I took the bait. I found a right size carpet with a bit of blue and red tones. It was different from the tribal reds we have but looked like it would go well in the space. It arrived last week and my husband’s anxieties were relieved when he read the description and actually saw it. I’m all for seeing something before buying it, but I have a good sense of how something is going to look. And I have learned a lot about Persian carpets over the years because my husband is from Iran, I’ve been there two times, and know the difference between the hand woven good stuff and the machine made carpets. I wanted something that was old, uneven, was different in design, had fringe, and would be the focal point of the dining room. Now it looks like it’s been with us forever. And that’s just the way we like it. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment