Tuesday, November 15, 2016

The Not-So-Great Gatsby With Maureen Corrigan

It seems like we have been going to the Library of Congress a lot over the last two weeks. We had out of town guests who like jazz so we went to a program about John Coltrain; we dropped off my Persian Isfahan dress textile to the middle eastern division for safe keeping; attended a middle eastern program the same week; and yesterday we went to a program about the not so great Gatsby. My husband liked the book and movie. Me? Not so much. My taste is more about biographies and historical events, and I try to relish and find those things to stay focused in any event we attend. The speaker was more than enthusiastic, and the movie clips from all the renditions of the Great Gatsby were entertaining. Her focus was on the shirt scene, which had a lot of symbolism most of the audience grasped. My husband still thinks the book was about Daisy, and perhaps it was more of a man thing. Whatever the case is, and no matter how F. Scott Fitzgerald is interpreted, it's always a great opportunity to visit the Library as a retiree. Every time I walk in the doors it is hard to believe I actually worked there for ten years! And these programs are just icing on the cake.













No comments:

Post a Comment