Sunday, February 5, 2023

Procreate for Photo Editing

I have been using Procreate to paint digital art custom pet portraits for the last few years. It’s basically my art studio. The iPad is my canvas and the stylus is my brush. When I first started painting I used Sketchbook pro. It was all self taught and I know I’m missing out on a lot of things. Then sketchbook pro wasn’t going to be compatible with my iPad, or the program changed too much to relearn it. That’s when I started using procreate when I got my larger sized iPad Pro. It dawned on me that perhaps procreate could also be used for photo editing. Way back in the day I had a picture it program on my desk top computer that was used for photo editing. I even created a fifty year anniversary album for my parents using it. My weekly photo challenge got me to thinking that there must be a way to create more interesting photos aside from just basic editing - because I see things on there that aren’t just a typical photo. And with the latest photo updates on the iPad, you can easily carve out an image from its background and superimpose it on to another one. So I tried a couple of ideas and am slowly beginning to learn how I might be able to do it. Rather than layering the paint, you layer the images. So I tried it with a picture of my husband in front of the Capitol on top of the art at the National gallery. It was interesting. Last week I got a great photo of Neil Armstrong’s space suit at the air and space museum. So I isolated the suit from the noisy background and placed it on a plain black background. Because the cut wasn’t perfectly clean I painted in the lighter areas between the legs. A photo of rocket boosters was then added behind and the image really changed. Afterwards I googled if procreate could be used for photo editing and found out it could - to a certain degree. Photoshop is supposedly the best program for any of this but I don’t have the equipment for it. So I’ll need to read a bit more about it. This sort of thing I find very interesting. Maybe I will have some luck with it. 


















No comments:

Post a Comment